Tuesday, August 12, 2014

To give or not to give.

To give or not to give

Now that I take a new route each day, I see the same 3 men 2 blocks away from each other. Each of these men holds up a sign which says " hungry will work for food" .  I find myself wondering do they know each other, and where do they live. I also ask myself do they have families. I also wonder how can we see our loved ones homeless and not be willing to give a helping hand.  Whether we know them personally or not they are our brothers in Christ, because we are all brothers and sisters in Christ. There are times when I have reached into my pocket and gave what ever change I have but I personally know someone who will give $5, $10, or even $20 if she has it.  

Just the other day I met a customer who was bewildered with giving. Not that she did not mind giving but the person who is asking for help is well dressed and always at the same location. He does not appear to be homeless, nor does he look like he has missed any meals and he is a young able bodied man. Jesus tells us that if anyone ask for help that we should not turn our backs on them but we should help.  I understand that jobs are getting harder and harder to find and many businesses are closing. So should we try to define who needs help or should we just listen to Gods word and give to those who ask. 
How do we know if someone is trying to take advantage of a situation. I only ask for help if I need it so trying to decide whether someone actually needs the help or not would mean that I am prejudging their situation.  I know that the Christ within me would and should give without question.

No comments:

Post a Comment