Saturday, January 25, 2014

No Television

002Old habits can be very hard to break. One habit that I am slowly breaking is watching television. Television can be so addictive and if you are not careful it will consume most of your day. I first realized I had a problem when I would be late for work. I had to see what was going to happen with my favorite soap opera. I gave up soaps a long time ago. I don’t believe that I am the only person with this problem. I have watched mothers with their babies, who for convenience place their infants on the sofa to keep their babies occupied.
So imagine watching television for x amount of hours; from 6months to adulthood. the amount of positive programs to watch are very few compared to the amount of crimes that is portrayed. It was too much to handle. If I listen to the news it is very sad and negative. I realized that listening to the news raises my blood pressure. We may think that television is harmless but I don’t believe so. As humans we are influenced by what we see and hear. The advertising companies knows this very well. One good example are commercials. I remember sitting on my sofa while watching television and a Big Mac commercial comes on, Immediately I feel hunger. If I do not have any money, ‘well I am going to buy one as soon as I get some money. The same thing happens with cars and so forth. I basically told myself that I do not need anyone or anything to influence me. If I am going to be influenced then it will be positive influence.
I honestly believe that television is the root cause to the world having so much crime. I have heard criminals who after being caught from committing a crime say that they saw it on television. We can all say that is no excuse but I am comparing the watching of television to being on drugs, Its addictive. The young are the most vulnerable. They want to dress like the people they see on TV. They also want the big house and the many cars not realizing that a lot of people work hard to achieve things and wealth. If television is going to teach me how to commit a crime, then why wont it also teach me how to save money instead of going out to buy everything I see being advertised. I am not knocking television but it is no longer for me. it does not inspire me, it does not lift me up spiritually, it does not entertain me and I now have free time to do more important things.

No comments:

Post a Comment